Research shows that effective leadership plays a vital role in student achievement. Further improving recruitment, training, evaluation, and ongoing professional development for school and district leaders is paramount to improving Alabama’s schools.
- The Alabama Best Practices Center, a division of A+, works directly with school leadership to implement proven practices that improve student learning.
- The Superintendent Leaders Network, a partnership between the Alabama Best Practices Center and superintendents, connects superintendents to learn and share experiences.
- Since 2003, A+ has partnered with the Governor’s Congress on School Leadership to develop policies to more effectively target, recruit, prepare, support, evaluate and compensate school leaders.
- A+ successfully advocated for performance contracts for principals, leadership standards, career-long benchmarks, redesigned principal preparation, two years of mentoring for new principals, standards-based professional development, and innovation districts.
- A+ is working for financial rewards for significant improvement and charter schools.
- Education Commission of the States: Leadership – Principal/School – The ECS was created to improve education by facilitating the exchange of information and ideas among school leaders and policymakers. This site has an overview of and links to multiple resources about educational leadership at the school level.
- Education Commission of the States: Leadership – District Superintendent – This site contains an overview of educational leadership at the district level and links to research on the topic.
- The Wallace Foundation: School Leadership – The Wallace Foundation’s mission is to improve learning and enrichment opportunities for children by sharing ideas and effective practices. This site contains research, strategies, and policy briefs about improving school leadership on the school and district level.